I
have loved the 4th of July since I was little. My dad would play his
cornet as we would "raise" the flag. Neighbors would come out of their
homes and place their hand over their heart. My dad and aunt Ruth would
go down very early (5 am) and set out chairs and save our spot for the
BIG Provo 4th of July parade. Around 7-ish my dad would come home -
raise the flag - and then take me, Alan and my cousin Margaret back to
save the chairs until parade time. Afterwards, we'd have a BBQ and some
water play (basically running through the sprinklers). Then off to the
carnival we'd go. Later we'd all watch fireworks together. I never
realized, until I tried to do all these things with my kids, how
incredibly tired my parents must have been at the end of that day!! But
ohhhhh what great memories!!
I
love the patriotic music at this time of year. My dad had an awesome
reel to reel stereo. On the reel tape he had recorded all kinds of
patriotic music from the Tabernacle Choir singing the 'Battle Hymn of
the Republic' to John Phillip Sousa's 'Stars and Stripes Forever'. The
4th of July reminds me of my dad, mostly. Mom's birthday was July 3rd
so we'd have a big party for her. Dad loved the 4th. He was very
patriotic - loved this country. He rarely spoke of his time serving in
the Navy during WWII. War was a difficult thing especially for a man as
kind as my dad. He did, however, have a great sense of pride for his
service and for the military. I can't help but think how proud he would
be of his son and his grandsons (in laws included) for their military
service. He was proud of this country.

I love celebrating the 4th of July. However, last year was a little
solemn. I had found out the day before that I had cancer. Utah was in a
blaze of wildfires and all fireworks state wide were banned. We
did, however, go to the Oakley Rodeo with Jenni and her family.
We started out a little quiet this
year... but then YaHOO - the fun started!! We had a big BBQ and FIREWORKS!! Randy, Annie and kids; Jenni,
Lynn and kids; Pam, Cale, Cat and Dan - all came for the fun!
And fun we had!!
 |
| Scott's patriotic cake |
 |
| BBQ fun with Pam, Cat, Dan and Cale |
 |
| Lennon and Lynn |
 |
| Hank, Colby, Max (hidden) Annie, Dan, Scott |
 |
| Cale, Pam, Cat, Jenni and Dyson |
 |
| A little ball playing before fireworks |
 |
| Sparkler time with Randy supervising |
 |
| Max decided to dance with his sparklers |
 |
| More sparklers |
 |
| Hank's sparkler was RED but I'm late on the picture |
 |
| Sitting on the curb before fireworks |
 |
| They each took turns choosing which firework to ignite |
 |
Sam started out on the curb but ended up on the blanket with his mom.
He didn't like the loud noise of the fireworks |
 |
Hank was right there with Lynn and Dyson to light the fireworks
|
Everyone had a great time!
Next BIG family outing is July 26, 27 and 28th at the cabin! Jenni and Randy and their families are coming up for a weekend of 4 wheeling fun, smores and more!! If I could just get Rusty and his family along with Rick and Anna to come.......
 |
| Happy July!! |
0 comments:
Post a Comment