October and Pink - aka Pinktober - is almost here. All over Facebook, Twitter and the Blog world women are starting up their campaign to make people, especially women who have or had breast cancer, feel guilty for wearing Pink. What is the deal with this anyway? Aren't we all in this fight together?
I've heard all the commotion regarding so much PINK. I've heard in almost a condemning way, statements from people about how Breast Cancer gets all the attention. Yes, there is noise about Breast Cancer but that noise is fairly recent. When I was growing up no one spoke of cancer much but Breast Cancer was never, ever mentioned. It was almost a 'shameful' cancer. Thanks to the Susan G. Komen foundation, the American Cancer Society and others that view has changed.
At times, especially in October, it appears that the pendulum is swinging too far the other way. There are a lot of companies that promote Pink in October. They play on the sympathies and feelings of others. Very little of their proceeds go to Breast Cancer research. Research for viable treatments to fight Stage IV Metastic Breast Cancer is what is needed. A person would have to be from a galaxy far, far away to not be AWARE of Breast Cancer. That AWARENESS train has left the station. Now we need to do MORE about treatments. We need to support those organizations that actually do something towards research and treatment.
HOWEVER, the one thing I really want to put out there is this.... neither myself or anyone else should have to explain ourselves if we want to wear a Pink shirt and walk in support of the American Cancer Society or any other group. I have earned the right to buy a pink hammer if I want. I have been in the cancer trenches.
| Chemo Treatment |
I was diagnosed with Stage IIB Invasive Ductual Carcinoma. I had a double mastectomy and had lymph nodes taken from both armpits. One lymph node showed metastasized cancer cells. I dealt with drains attached to my body for weeks. I had 18 treatments of chemo, lost my hair, eye lashes, eye brows, gained weight, was nauseous, all my fingernails turned black and lifted as well as two of my toenails. I dealt with insomnia on the nights I wasn't medicated up for pain and still haven't got a handle on the fatigue. I tried to have a good attitude about all the poison that was being pushed into my body. My clothes don't fit any more... especially the shirts. Bras?? Ugh...they are terrible. Things are not the same physically or emotionally.
Believe me, I am not claiming to know all the feelings that a person with stage IV is dealing with. I do, however, understand some of the treatments and surgeries that they too had to endure. Anyone who deals with cancer pays a price. I have earned my "get in free card" - to walk, run, scream, shout and Wear PINK if I want and not be criticized for doing it.
I realize the Mets road of Stage IV is filled with a lot of emotion. I really am not waving my banner or wearing my pink shirt in anyone's face. I support funding for resources and treatments for Stage IV now more then ever. My time could come when I will have those same worries. Today, I want it to be OK with all my pink sisters that I celebrate in October - wear pink - walk or dance around Liberty Park to celebrate how far we've come and how much further we need to go. I believe I have earned that Right.
| Liberty Park 2012 |
| Leaving for the ACS walk - Making Strides - 2013 |

0 comments:
Post a Comment